Week 1: The top 50 songs of 2011
Week 2: The Sight of Sound Year-End Awards
Week 3: Top Albums of 2011
So that's what will happen throughout December, but as for today we get right into the top 50 songs of the year.
Disclaimer: I'm only one person and as much as I love music there is absolutely no way I could listen to every single song that comes out in a given year. So the following list is made up of songs that have made their way through my airwaves and left an impression on my ear.
The only criteria were as follows: One song for each artist (this was a difficult choice to make for some, but others only really had one strong choice anyway). A song didn't necessarily have to be a single - for some artists I selected a stronger track on the album that never made it on the radio or had a video release. Also, the song didn't necessarily have to be released this year, but if its impact was felt in 2011 (ex: the album was released in winter 2010) then it made it.
And there will be some notable names absent from my list. This could be that either I didn't get a chance to give them a proper listen or... I didn't think they were worthy. It will be up to you to make a guess ;)
To kick off the top 50 songs of 2011, here are the first 15.
50. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi featuring Jack White - "Two Against One"
48. Of Monsters and Men - "Little Talks"
47. The Vaccines - "Post Breakup Sex"
46. The Naked and Famous - "Punching in a Dream"
45. Cults - "Go Outside"
44. Travis Barker featuring Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Swizz Beatz and The Game - "Can a Drummer Get Some?"
43. Sum 41- "Jessica Kill"
42. The Joy Formidable - "Whirring"
41. Givers - "Up Up Up"
40. Switchfoot - "Dark Horses"
39. TV on the Radio - "Will Do"
38. Yuck - "Get Away"
37. Sublime with Rome - "Panic"
36. Pierce the Veil - "Just the Way You Are" (Bruno Mars cover)
And that's it for today. Check back tomorrow for numbers 35 - 21.
What did you think of these songs? Loved them, hated them, never heard of them? Let me know in the comments section.